Pages

Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Super Hydrating Honey Skin Repair Mask

Good Morning World!

I want to tell you about my super hydrating honey mask that I made during the course of the week.
I have really been neglacting my feet and with the hot, dry summer, I've noticed that my skin is peeling and cracking. To top it off, while gardening, I managed to acquire a few blisters between two of my toes that were not healing. I am usually very good at taking care of my skin but we all have days (or weeks, in my case) where everything just seems to happen all at once and you end up neglecting to give yourself any pamper time. Unfortunately, you just have to grab the precious few minutes needed to give yourself the attention that you deserve or else it never happens.

I managed to find a half hour on Monday evening and I whipped up this quick and easy recipe that you can make at home with a few basic ingredients.

You will need the following items before you proceed.

Requirements:

an old towel or mat to keep the mix from dropping on the floor
2 medium sized plastic bags or booties
a mixing bowl
a fork


Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of raw honey
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 drops of tea tree oil

I whipped up the ingredients with a fork until the olive oil  incorporated into the honey and formed a waxy, runny paste.

Just a few notes about the ingredients before we continue. I used the Woolworths raw honey as it isn't as runny as the other honeys. Even with the raw honey, the paste is quite thin and melts further upon contact with the skin. Any honey that you have at home can be used. Honey stimulates the healing process and has anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties. It helps to remove the dead skin painlessly and is an excellent skin conditioner.
 I used extra virgin olive oil but you can use plain olive oil. Olive oil is an excellent skin moisturiser with anti-oxidant properties and is particularly good for very dry skin.. It does not clog pores and improves the texture of the skin. Where possible try to use organic ingredients.
Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties and is a good anti-septic. It helps to stimulate the body's immune system. Although it is a non-irritant, this oil can cause skin irritation in some people so it is important to do a skin sensitivity test. You can substitute lavender oil if you prefer.

Once the mixture was ready, I simply applied it to my feet and covered with the booties for 20 minutes. When I removed the booties, I made sure to massage the sticky mixture further into my skin as this aids in the removal of the dead skin and allows the mixture to soak in thoroughly. Then rinse off properly, making sure all the sticky residue has been removed properly. You can moisturise again if you want but I found that my feet were super soft and hydrated.I did notice that after a few hours, more of the dead skin came off and then it was necessary to moisturise again.

Overall I was very happy with the results of my little experiment and I definitely going to try this again soon. I actually had more than enough to use this on my hands and legs so it ended up being a half body treat :-)

If you do decide to try it, drop me a line about your experience.

Have a great day.






No comments:

Post a Comment